Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Recipe #3: Halibut and Sauteed Spinach

Since Ryan and I are both trying out this weight watchers thing, we decided to test out a recipe that comes from the weight watchers book! There aren't very many recipes, but the halibut caught our attention! It seemed super easy to make (and it was!) and it was only 4 points per 4 oz. piece of halibut. I had been craving sauteed spinach (don't ask....I don't even know), so we found a recipe here, from foodnetwork.


Working on the spinach! Beware...it is really scary when you first put it in because the oil sprays on you!! Oh, but it was so worth it!



Sittin' in the oven, almost ready to come out! How pretty do those look?!


And yes, of course we had a bottle of Charles Shaw (aka 2 Buck Chuck) with our dinner! I don't mind if I do!

For the halibut: Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray a baking pan with cooking spray, and place the halibut on it. Then drizzle lemon juice (maybe 2 tsp per fillet) and brush on the olive oil (1 tsp per fillet). Put a thin layer of bread crumbs (1/2 tablespoon on each one) and put on the capers, salt and pepper. And that's it! Put it in the oven, and wait for 15-20 minutes!

And there you have it! It was such a quick meal to make, we were almost upset by how little effort and time it took (if that's possible)! And it definitely filled us up! So what was the total damage? Well, since our halibut pieces were 5 oz each, that part was 5 points. For the spinach, all of the points actually come from the olive oil, which is (gulp) 1 point per teaspoon. Geez. But it's okay, because I managed to make the spinach with 4 teaspoons, making it 2 points for each of us. Lastly, we had wine. Now, for the most part, wine is 2 pts per 4 oz. A bottle is about 25 oz, so that means there are 12 (ok, maybe like 12.5, but whatever) points per bottle. That give us 6 points each. So, the total comes to a mere 13 points!! Not bad for a filling meal, complete with a bottle of wine!

4 comments:

Alex ♔ said...

Yum! Though I definitely prefer raw fish over cooked, I'd definitely be down for some o' dat.

Mags said...

Kristin,

Just saw your comment on my blog (Whisked Away). Thanks for visiting! And yes, I hope to include more about my love of orange and purple.

Hope you keep following along!

Mags

Angry Anne said...

yummmmm! sounds like my kind of meal, since I am quite impatient :)

Unknown said...

Ok, I am definitely making the Halibut for Valentine's Day. For some reason I was thinking it had wine in it, I don't know why. Although, I think I'll have to do a modified version and either leave out the bread crumbs or do gluten-free bread crumbs, but that might be weird! I love your blog!